, located approximately 40 km north of the Red Sea
and Eilat city, is the first Kibbutz in the Arava. Yotvata falls under the jurisdiction of Hevel Eilot Regional Council
and is the center of the region, where most regional facilities are based: regional school, community center, sports center, movies and more...
In 1957, Yotvata was established as the first kibbutz in the southern Aravah region .The kibbutz is named after an Israelite encampment mentioned in the Bible. The founders, a small group of men and women 20 years of age, decided to pursue a life of pioneering and built their home in the desert, on the Arava road in the south of Israel. The Arava valley is an arid desert where the average annual rainfall is less than 30 mm and temperatures often exceed 40 °C in summer, and 21 °C in winter.
Most adult residents in Yotvata work on the kibbutz in production, services or education. The revenues are equally distributed among the members regardless of their position. Most of daily affairs are conducted communally - education, holidays, dining (three meals a day conducted in the commune dining-room) and more.
is a milk products factory which provides the kibbutz with its main source of income and occupies the highest number of members. Agriculture branches are irrigated land
(onions, potatoes, animal feed, garlic and more), plantations
(dates) and a big and modern dairy farm
Kibbutz Yotvata has around700 residents, among them around 23 international volunteers, who work mainly in gardening and at the services of the cafeteria, dining room, carpentry, minimarket, dairy farm, laundry, Horse farms, agriculture and field crops. Yotvata has always enjoyed the volunteer company and today it is nice to continue the tradition with a second generation of volunteers who follow their parents or volunteers who are brothers / cousins of volunteers from the past.